Hi new followers, where are you all from & how did you find me??
Do you have a Facebook page? :O I'd like to follow you on facebook too!!! Love your work ♥
Thank you so much! Yeah I do! You can find me here :3
do you think it's worth it to get an MFA? if you want to go into animating/illustrating but you're doing something else for undergrad studies cuz your parents are making you
I don’t know much about MFAs, but I think there are several factors to consider:
- where would you be getting the MFA from, and what program? how are the connections/teachers/classes?
- can you get another bachelor’s instead? many programs (e.g. calarts character animation) only offer BFAs. keep in mind that you don’t need to do all four (or however many) years, unless the degree is important to you.
- would you need to take out any loans? if so, does the potential experience/networking/knowledge gained from the MFA offset the financial burden you might incur? would your parents support you through your MFA (helping w/ tuition or cosigning on loans) or is it all on you?
- do you learn better on your own or with others? meaning, can you study animation/illustration in your spare time / along with a day job? or do you need a lot of time and support from teachers and classmates?
- what kind of work do you want to be doing afterward? animation studio or indie comics? feature or tv? is the MFA geared toward what you want?
- most importantly: would you be happier trying to forge your own path, or entering a dedicated creative environment? (the two are not mutually exclusive btw)
Art school is amazing for the people you’ll meet, but it is expensive and by no means necessary, especially if you’re ready and able to learn on your own!! Good luck :D
Hi Sophie. You and your Work are just amazing! What kind of Brush set do you use? It´s so soft&sexy!
Waow thanks! I have way too many brushes (scrolling through the list takes forEVER) but I pretty much only use a couple of them. If Photoshop brushes were shoes in Carrie Bradshaw’s closet, these would be her Manolo Blahniks. (I’ve been watching SATC…)
- My staple is an awesome ink brush that I believe Patrick Leger made. (EDIT: Patrick just told me that Kevin Dart actually made this brush!!) Acquired it while doing freelance for Steven Universe. I use it for sketching and inking alike, it’s so versatile.
- This is a dry brush with good texture that I got from Katy Wu. Aside from being great for painting, it’s also good to use as an eraser on hard-edged shapes, to soften them up and make them feel more organic. Good all-around brush.
- Originally this was a default brush that comes in Photoshop CS6 that I edited the preferences for. It’s called “Square Charcoal.” I liked the way it looked but didn’t like how hard the edge on it was, so I just went in and changed the tip shape to “Round,” futzed around with some other stuff, and voila. This drawing is the first thing I ever did with it, just to mess around. You can see it very clearly there. I think I’ve gotten better at using it though :P
- This is a Kyle T. Webster brush called “Deliciously Dry Brush.” I don’t use it very often since it’s a very specific look, but it more than rises to the occasion whenever I want to play around with dry media! So fun!
Hope this helps! Play around with brush settings! I used to make my own brushes but other people are much better at it than me :P
How did you hear about the google internship and what made you apply? I'm sure it's competitive, but how did you get past the doubt/fear stage of rejection? You are an inspiration!
Thanks! But there was no internship position or anything. I just asked a very kind soul to look at my blog… and then I probably annoyed him a bit with all my questions… but he had the patience to answer all of them and I still hold his advice in high regard. Anyway, from there the subject of an internship came up, and then blah blah blah now I’m here.
I still have lots of doubts — tons!! — but I know they get in the way of who I want to be, so I try to let those feelings pass through me. It’s tough though! I’m naturally a bit shy so lots of my doubts revolve around having to interact with people whose personalities sorta clash with mine. But you can tell when someone is a kindred spirit, and then that shyness just fades away. For the rest of em… life is too short to be worried ; )
Is that Rocinha in your beautiful landscape pictures? Because I screamed out loud when I saw your pictures you captured that part of Rio so perfectly.
Yeah it’s Rocinha! Slight tangent: I have to admit I felt morally uncomfortable visiting it, considering the circumstances it formed in and the tension and violence still present in hundreds of other favelas… It did feel a bit patronizing in a way. But it is a huge part of the city so I feel it would be remiss to ignore it.
Where can I get more info on your RPG progress? The character looks super cool!
Hahahaha expect updates on this blog… soon… I’ve been dragging my feet on it but a couple engineer friends are super excited to help so that’s a big motivator!
You have a pet pig?! :O
No just a pig puppet that my friend gave me hahaha sorry to get your hopes up - I dream about the day I can get a real pig though :O
You are seriously my absolute favorite, I too love Rumiko Takahashi, because of Ranma 1/2. Could you draw yourself in Rumiko's style?
OH JEEZ — I’m sorry for answering this question like four months late. Here’s my terrible stab at a self portrait (with my pig, Colin*):
Seriously, if it weren’t for Rumiko Takahashi I probably wouldn’t be in this field at all. She’s probably my biggest influence, ever. I don’t talk about her enough.
*colin is a puppet
I just saw your blog and I already love you. Your lines are so unic and beautiful♥ I'm an art student and it is really hard to be in the place you are now, so that's a happy thing. P.s: It seems like you like girls, am I wrong? Sorry if that bothers you.
Thanks so much! I like girls but not that way. (Don’t worry, I get that question a lot, it doesn’t bother me one bit!)
P.S. Good luck to you!
what do u look for in a guy? are u blown away by just having graduated but already working for the goooogle? whats ur favorite place to eat in sf?
I love your Thanksgiving doodle! Do you use a pen tablet? If so which one? Ellen
At work I have a Cintiq 21UX! At home I use an Intuos 3.
Hi Sophie, I wanted to let you know how meaningful your thanksgiving doodle was for me. My younger son, Caleb, died on Sept 3. For us, foxes represent him (there's a story, but I see I'm working w a character count). Amazingly, foxes seem to be popping up everywhere since he died. Then your doodle. But here's the kicker- my surviving son is (nick)named Banjo. So when I saw that the thanksgiving message was of a fox+banjo I was so touched. Thx 4 your beautiful creation. love, ellen
My sincerest condolences. Thank you so much for sharing this story with me. I would love to hear about how foxes came to represent Caleb.
It looks like your tumblr is not heavily used so I hope you see this response… If you like, you can email me your address (email@example.com) and I would love to send you a little print of Fox and Banjo : )
your use of colour makes me want to break down and cry from happiness, holy god woman!
No! No cry! (thank you!)